Step-by-step Instructions for Changing Your ECM8 COM port Number. Applies to Framework software version 6.2X to 6.XX
NOTE: Be sure to install the drivers for the USB-to-Serial Converter before beginning. The drivers can be found on a CD supplied with the converter
- Click Start, Control Panel
- Select "System" (switch to classic view if System is not listed)
- Click the Hardware Tab
- Click the Device Manager button
- Plug in your USB-to-Serial adapter
- Look under Ports (COM & LPT)
- Locate the device "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM#)"
- Write down the COM #, you'll need it for the next step.
- Open Framework and go to Experiment>Utilities>Multiplexer COM Port Change
- In the pop-up window, select the multiplexer you want to configure and click OK
- On the next screen enter the number of the COM port noted in Step 8, click OK
- Restart Framework to have any changes take effect
- Re-open Framework and go to Experiment > MUX105 Multiplexed DC Corrosion> Multiplexer Test. This test will confirm if the changes made were successful.
A Note about USB to Serial Converters. Always use the same physical USB port for your ECM8:
Windows initializes the USB converter device and automatically assigns the next available COM port. This is a problem if the converter is plugged into a different physical USB port, as windows will see it as a brand new device and will initialize it with a new COM port number. The ECM8 is not plug and play, and thus the software has no knowledge of the settings change. This will not be a problem if the same physical USB port is always used.